The Coffee House, Moisant International Airport, New Orleans 1960
Interstate Hosts – “Serving Land, sea and Air” - operated restaurants and shopping centers in airports as well as on turnpikes and ocean liners. This glorious piece of menu art comes from their Coffee House in New Orleans’ airport.
The airport was originally named Moisant Field after daredevil aviator John Moisant, who died in 1910 in an airplane crash on agricultural land where the airport is now located. Its IATA code MSY was derived from Moisant Stock Yards, as Lakefront Airport retained the code NEW. In World War II the land became a government air base. It returned to civil control after the war and commercial service began at Moisant Field in May 1946.
By the time the 1959 airport terminal building opened, the name Moisant International Airport was being used for the New Orleans facility. In 1961, the name was changed to New Orleans International Airport. In July 2001, to honor the 100th anniversary of Louis Armstrong's birth (August 4, 1901), the airport's name became Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport.
Interstate Hosts Inc seem to have ceased operations in the 1990s.
*Courtesy The Chapman S Root collection at the Culinary Institute of America’s Menu Collection.
Gallery quality Giclée print on natural white, matte, 100% cotton rag, acid and lignin free archival paper using Epson K3 archival inks. Custom printed with border for matting and framing.
Each order includes a print of the interior menu.