Lyons' Corner House, London 1960s
London in the ‘Swinging Sixties,’ an era defined by TIME magazine, must have been an exciting place to be.
Mary Quant introduced the miniskirt, models such as Twiggy and Jean Shrimpton were international fashion models and style icons and the Beatles, The Rolling Stones and The Who were among the mainstays of the music scene.
TIME magazine described the city as the ‘global hub of youthful creativity, hedonism and excitement’ and the epicenter of British style.
It’s not surprising, therefore, that this colorful and cartoonish menu cover from a Britain restaurant chain known as Lyons’ Corner Houses oozes charm.
Located on Coventry Street in the heart of the city’s West End, the cheerful illustration shows nearby Piccadilly Circus and its Eros Fountain, still one of the city’s top landmarks.
Lyons & Co. was a British restaurant chain, food manufacturing, and hotel conglomerate founded in 1884. In 1894 the company started a teashop in Piccadilly, London, and from 1909 developed this into a chain of teashops known as Lyons' Corner Houses.
The company also ran high class restaurants, founding the Trocadero in 1895, and hotels including the Strand Palace, opened in 1909, the Regent Palace, opened in 1915, and the Cumberland Hotel, opened in 1933, all in London.
Lyons’ Corner Houses in the 1906s offered good, honest food and were extremely popular. On the interior of this menu, prices are in the old British currency of pounds and pence.
Courtesy Private Collection.
Each order includes a print of the interior menu.
All printed in USA.