Clara and her husband, Leo “Lindy” Lindermann, opened the original Lindy’s restaurant, a Jewish deli on Broadway between 49th and 50th streets in 1921. This menu is from their second much larger and busier location that opened in 1929, just up the street from the original that closed in 1957, the year that Lindy died.
The newer location attracted a colorful crowd, a who’s who of Jews and gentiles, celebrities, columnists, writers, and aspiring actors and singers hoping to be noticed. Tablehopping became a dining room pastime. Lindy’s was known for Jewish but non-kosher food (note the Genuine Virginia Ham and Turkey sandwich as well as the shellfish on the menu) and particularly for the popular gigantic sandwiches. Mrs. Lindemann provided many of the recipes for the traditional Jewish menu items.
Lindy’s was nationally famous for its cheesecake as the following anecdote illustrates.
Quoting Abe Burrows, co-author of Guys and Dolls: "Damon Runyon was very fond of Lindy's cheesecake. In his stories he changed Lindy to Mindy, but he never tried to change the great cheesecake. ...We saw to it that our gambler hero, Sky Masterson, the highest roller of them all, was 'quite partial to Mindy's cheesecake'." -from Wikipedia
Courtesy The Culinary Institute of America
Gallery quality Giclée print on natural white, matte, 100% cotton rag, acid and lignin free archival paper using Epson K3 archival inks. Custom printed with border for matting and framing.
All printed in USA.