The Hotel Utah, a Renaissance Revival-style hotel designed by a Los Angeles-based team of architects, was built between 1909 to 1911 in Salt Lake City.
It was owned by Mormon and non-Mormon shareholders and boasted “the largest and finest bar in the West” which sold hard liquor because it was felt that if visitors weren’t allowed to “wet up” they would go elsewhere.
It also had, as this imaginative 1939 menu cover of a steaming hot cup of coffee shows, a fine coffee shop.
The Hotel Utah ceased operations as a hotel in 1987 and is now the administrative offices of the Latter Day Saint movement. It has been renamed the Joseph Smith Memorial Building, in honor of the LDS founder.
Courtesy Private Collection.
Each print is accompanied by a copy of the interior menu or cover.