Grand Central Terminal Restaurant 1915
Grand Central Terminal was constructed on the site of the former Grand Central Depot. Between 1903 and 1913, the entire building was torn down in phases and replaced by the current Grand Central Terminal. It was to be the biggest terminal in the world, both in the size of the building and in the number of tracks. The construction project was enormous. About 3,250,000 cubic yards of the ground were excavated at depths of up to 10 floors, with 1,000 cubic yards of debris being removed from the site on 300 cars every day. The average construction site was 45 feet deep, with the lower level being 40 feet below ground. Over 10,000 workers were assigned to put 118,597 short tons (107,589 t) of steel and 33 miles of track inside the final structure. In addition, a 0.5-mile-long, 6-foot-wide tube was sunk 65 feet under the ground to the East River. On February 2, 1913, the new terminal was opened, with passengers boarding the first train at one minute past midnight. Within sixteen hours of opening, there were an estimated 150,000 visitors.
Courtesy Private Collection.
Gallery quality Giclée print on natural white, matte, 100% cotton rag, acid and lignin free archival paper using Epson K3 archival inks. Custom printed with border for matting and framing.
All printed in USA.