Palm Springs Tennis Club 1960s
In the late 1920s, Pearl McCallum McManus and her husband Austin took a trip through southern Europe and returned to Palm Springs with the idea of building a tennis club. Chicago-born Pearl, who had arrived in the desert with her parents in 1888, set about making her vision a reality and by 1936, the first two tennis courts were built. More buildings and tennis courts were added and ‘Auntie Pearl’ – an influential figure in Palm Springs until her death in 1966 - resided in a pink mansion beside her beloved club. Members rubbed shoulders with celebrities such as Frank Sinatra, Bob Hope and Ava Gardner. Ownership of the Tennis Club has changed over the years and the resort in the heart of downtown Palm Springs remains beloved by locals and visitors alike. Among the extensive on-site amenities are three pools, five spas, 11 tennis courts and Spencer’s Restaurant. We believe this gloriously colorful menu showing twin palm trees reflected in the main swimming pool dates from the late 60s or early 70s.
Courtesy Private Collection.
Each order includes a print of the interior menu.