Trocadero Grill Room, London 1953
The Trocadero Grill Room opened in London in 1896 as a less expensive option than dining at the Ritz or Savoy hotels. Diners entered from Shaftesbury Avenue, ascending a grand marble staircase, and were led into a vast grill room. A full orchestra played in the background as white-jacketed waiters scurried back and forth between tables, watched over by a superintendent. The great English humorist P.G. Wodehouse was a regular customer – he dined there at least once a week. Indian curries ' cooked by a native chef ' were on the menu three times a week. The Trocadero, owned by Joseph Lyons and Co, was one of the first restaurants to introduce a fixed price meal – the table d’hote for two shillings and sixpence. It meant gentlemen in a rush could eat quickly before going off to business meetings or couples heading to the theatre could dine before curtain-up and proved popular.
This elegant menu is from 1953 and offered an enormous menu, with prices in pounds and shillings. The Trocadero closed in 1965.
Gallery quality Giclée print on natural white, matte, 100% cotton rag, acid and lignin free archival paper using Epson K3 archival inks. Custom printed with border for matting and framing.
Printed in USA.
Each print is accompanied by a copy of the menu interior or cover