The Stevens Hotel, Chicago 1940s
The Stevens Hotel, opened in 1927 as the largest hotel in the world and was named a "City Within a City" for its impressive amenities, which included: 3,000 guestrooms, a 27 seat barber shop, 5 lane bowling alley, 18 hole rooftop golf course, Hospital with full ward and two operating rooms, Candy factory, Children’s toy and clothing store, 1,200-seat Theater with “talking motion picture equipment”, Ice Cream Shop, Flower Shop, Jewelry Store, Lending Library and a 24-hour Drug Store. After falling on hard times it was eventually bought by Conrad Hilton in 1945 and renamed The Conrad Hilton Hotel in 1951.
Courtesy Private Collection.
Each print is accompanied by a copy of the interior menu or cover.