The Springs, Palm Springs 1950s Menu Design
The Springs, Palm Springs 1950s Menu

The Springs, Palm Springs 1950s

Regular price $25.00 $0.00 Unit price per
Shipping calculated at checkout.

Product Description

Born in Ohio in 1916, the renowned architect William F Cody came to Palm Springs in 1946 and his quirky, cool designs helped shape the modernist desert city. He lived there until his death in 1978.
This menu cover image with its cool colors and font was for a restaurant he designed called The Springs, built in 1956 for businessman George E Cameron.
The Springs, located on the corner of Mesquite Avenue and Palm Canyon Drive, was generally regarded as one of the best examples of Googie architecture, with its complex and angular structure designed to catch the attention of a driver behind the wheel.
A master of site planning and able to turn his eye to any type of building, Cody helped make Palm Springs the center of desert modernism. He designed the Del Marcos Hotel, the Palm Springs library and was appointed to adapt existing buildings on what is now the Thunderbird Country Club in Rancho Mirage.  Celebrities such as Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz and Hoagy Carmichael snapped up home sites at the club thanks to his involvement.
He designed the new clubhouse, cocktail lounge overlooking the first tee and a 300-seat dining room.
Cody also designed his own home in Palm Springs and the homes of many residents in the desert oasis in the 50s and 60s. He designed Frank Sinatra’s second home in Rancho Mirage.
The Springs was the first restaurant at the site, then we believe it became Huddle at The Springs and then Aloha Joe and eventually a Sherman's Deli. It was demolished in the 1990s. 

Gallery quality Giclée print on natural white, matte, 100% cotton rag, acid and lignin free archival paper using Epson archival inks. Custom printed with border for matting and framing.

Each order includes a print of the interior menu.

All printed in USA.

Share this Product