The Cockpit Club, Glendale Airport 1930s
The Grand Central Air Terminal with its single runway was opened in Glendale, California, in 1929 when the popularity of commercial air travel was still in its infancy.
Legendary pilot Charles Lindbergh, who had made his solo flight across the Atlantic in 1927, piloted the first inaugural coast to coast flight from here, the beginning of air service from Los Angeles to New York.
The attractive terminal building, built in a mixture of Spanish Colonial Revival style and Art Deco, had its own coffee shop and a legendary cocktail bar.
The Cockpit Club looks like it was a fun place to wait while a flight was being readied. This vintage menu has wonderful graphics and a great sense of humor. Nervous fliers would certainly find Dutch courage in its cocktails made by Dr Dinky.
The Hollywood elite made good use of LA’s first commercial terminal and Charlie Chaplin, Clark Gable, Carole Lombard, Jimmy Stewart and Mary Pickford were among the celebrities who passed through here.
Los Angeles’ first commercial air terminal closed in 1959 and was bought by the Disney Corporation which renovated the historic air terminal.
Courtesy Private Collection.
Gallery quality Giclée print on natural white, matte, 100% cotton rag, acid and lignin free archival paper using Epson K3 archival inks. Custom printed with border for matting and framing.
All printed in USA.
Each product is accompanied by a copy of the interior menu where available.