Hot Dog Show, Los Angeles 1950s
There were six sizzling selections of hot dogs at the Hot Dog Show when it opened at two locations on La Cienega Blvd and Crenshaw Blvd in Los Angeles, California, in 1949.
There was the Mutt, the Dachshund, the Chihuahua, the Boston Bull, the Hound and the Beagle. On this 1950s menu, the Beagle is sold out.
The Hot Dog Show menu and its colorful stands had wonderfully witty anthropomorphic hot dog illustrations – including angel hot dogs who presumably went to heaven after sacrificing themselves as someone’s tasty snack – created by artist Don Stafford.
We don’t yet know who owned the Hot Dog show, but the small chain expanded to other spots like Studio City and the Pacific Palisades where a mini train ran through the premises.
Hollywood still loves its hot dogs. Pink’s Hot Dogs, founded in 1939 by Betty and Paul Pink, is still serving dogs on N La Brea Avenue today and, of course, there’s the Tail O’ The Pup that started selling its frankfurters in 1946.
The Tail O’ the Pup’s 18ft-long hot dog stand, shaped like a hot dog, has been lovingly restored by the 1933 Group. You can see this great example of novelty architecture and buy hot dogs at 8512 Santa Monica Boulevard in West Hollywood.
Courtesy Eric Lynxwiler.
Each order includes a print of the interior menu.
All printed in USA.