Friendship House, Biloxi 1960s
If you’ve seen a friendlier bunch of lobsters, let us know.
Jim and Mary Meyers opened the Friendship House on the Gulf Coast in Biloxi, Mississippi in 1949 and offered hospitality to millions of tourists who flocked to the Emerald Coast, more commonly known as the Redneck Riviera, in the postwar era.
Famous for its seafood and big meals for bargain basement prices, vacationers would line up in the hot sun for two hours, waiting for tables at this establishment.
The Meyers were experts in advertising and commissioned cheerful and inventive vintage menu art that included these welcoming lobsters. They also printed useful tourist information and maps - all featuring their restaurant, of course.
The Friendship House's motto was "Host to the Gulf Coast" Where Hospitality Prevails. According to one customer "it served some of the greatest seafood on the Gulf Coast." Tourists returned year after year until 1963, when the couple sold The Friendship House to a company that operated restaurants in New Orleans. It didn’t retain its loyal clientele and the building was eventually demolished.
The site of The Friendship House was eventually occupied by an Olive Garden until that was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina.
Courtesy Private Collection.
Gallery quality Giclée print on natural white, matte, 100% cotton rag, acid and lignin free archival paper using Epson K3 archival inks. Custom printed with border for matting and framing.
All printed in USA.
Each product is accompanied by a copy of the interior menu where available.