"Delicious Coffee", Linton's Philadelphia 1947
This illustration of a friendly cup of coffee was on the front cover of many Linton restaurant menus. It’s everything we love about vintage menu art – cheerful and eye-catching and is dated 1947.
Isaiah Linton opened his first restaurant on Front Street in Philadelphia in 1890. At the time, the city had numerous iron and steel-related manufacturers and the textiles, cigars, sugar and oil industries were also thriving.
His next restaurant was established in 1898 at 108 S 8th street - it was Philadelphia’s first air-conditioned restaurant - and by 1940 the Linton family had around 40 restaurants open around Philadelphia, Atlantic City and Camden.
In 1942, Linton’s won the title of Philadelphia’s Best Cup of Coffee and as well as delicious coffee, the restaurants served hearty, healthy and good value meals.
Linton’s went on to operate cafeterias for many businesses in Philadelphia until 1981 when the company moved into food service management. It remains a thriving and highly respected company, with a wide range of services that includes the delivery of healthy meals to schools, hospitals and residential communities.
Courtesy Private Collection.
Each order includes a print of the interior menu.