Cunard RMS Franconia 1935 Alistair K MacDonald Menu Art
This is a Farewell Dinner Menu (at sea) at the end of a summer cruise by the Royal Mail Ship Franconia in 1935. Created by one of Cunard White Star’s favorite artists – Alistair K. MacDonald.
The Franconia was built in 1922. She was painted white for a 1933 world cruise, after which she spent a year on the London-Southampton-New York route before returning to Liverpool in 1935. After another world cruise in 1938, Franconia was refitted as a troopship. During the war, she took part in the evacuations of Norway and France and the invasion of Sicily, and served as the headquarters ship at Yalta. In all, she carried nearly 150,000 troops and steamed over 300,000 miles in nearly 9 years.
In 1949, Franconia returned to Cunard's service, on the Canada routes from Liverpool and (in 1955) Southampton. She resumed her winter cruising until 1956 when she was scrapped.
Courtesy Private Collection.
Each print is accompanied by a copy of the interior menu or cover.