Cliff House, San Francisco, 1930s
This great menu art, featuring a sea lion dressed as a waiter and about to serve champagne, comes from the famous Cliff House restaurant in San Francisco. Originally built in 1863, the year of the Battle of Gettysburg, it is constructed on cliffs on the westernmost edge of the city. This witty menu dates from 1934, just after the repeal of prohibition, and was probably created to celebrate a change of ownership when George and Leo Whitney, owners of a local fairground called Playland, bought the property and extensively remodeled it as an upscale roadhouse. The property, which has been rebuilt several times after suffering earthquakes, fires and serious storms, is the crown jewel of the Golden Gate National Recreational Area and celebrated its 150th anniversary in 2013. Sadly, the Cliff House could not endure the Covid lockdown and it closed on December 31st 2020, but there are hopes it will reopen in another form.
Gallery quality Giclée print on natural white, matte, 100% cotton rag, acid and lignin free archival paper using Epson K3 archival inks. Custom printed with border for matting and framing.
All printed in USA.
Each print is accompanied by a copy of the interior menu.