Canary Room, Hotel Last Frontier Las Vegas 1940s
The Last Frontier hotel and casino opened in 1942 and was the second hotel built on the Las Vegas Strip, after El Rancho. This resort also had a Wild West theme - staff wore cowboy outfits, the bars and restaurants were stuffed with Wild West memorabilia and guests were offered stagecoach rides to and from the hotel to the airport and down town. The Last Frontier had its own rodeo grounds and corral for horses and Las Vegas’s first wedding chapel called The Little Church of the West.
The hotel was sold in 1951 and went through several owners until billionaire Howard Hughes bought the property in 1967 and renamed it the Frontier.
This 1940s menu from the hotel’s Canary Room restaurant shows a cowboy-booted chef lassoeing canaries. Could this have anything to do with Las Vegas’s Mafia connections during the town's early days since a canary is Mob-slang for a snitch? We think instead it refers to the fact that the Canary Room became a cabaret venue in the evenings and female singers - who were nicknamed canaries – entertained guests. Either way, this is a wonderful piece of Las Vegas history.
Courtesy Private Collection.
Gallery quality Giclée print on natural white, matte, 100% cotton rag, acid and lignin free archival paper using Epson K3 archival inks. Custom printed with border for matting and framing.
All printed in USA.
Each product is accompanied by a copy of the interior menu where available.