Jack's At The Beach, Santa Monica 1940s (WW2)
Born in Greece circa 1892, Jack Compselides was a bus boy at San Francisco’s Palace Hotel before he moved to Venice, California, and opened a small fish shack in 1917. He called his little outpost Jack’s at the Beach. The establishment flourished and was relocated to the north end of Ocean Park Pier in Santa Monica in the 1940s. This beautiful menu cover, reflecting the deep blue of the Pacific Ocean and the delicate creatures who lived under the waves, is from that era and displays OPA (Office of Price Administration) pricing because of World War II.
Jack’s at the Beach continued to be a favorite with local diners and, after the death of its founder in 1957, the business was taken over by the Hecht family. The restaurant served fresh seafood until 1975 when a storm badly damaged both the restaurant and the pier. Both were demolished.
Jack’s at the Beach moved inland, to 2700 Wilshire. The restaurant was sold in 1990 to the venerable Los Angeles Pacific Dining Car chain (there are two establishments) and remains a thriving restaurant.
Courtesy Private Collection.
Each print is accompanied by a copy of the interior menu or cover.